Home
Login
Features
Browser Requirements
Security Information
About Us
Contact Us
Current Deposit Rates
Privacy
Online Demo
Online Enrollment
Product and Services
Internet Terms
Conditions
Lending Center

About Stockton National Bank

 
A History of the Stockton National Bank

Jay J. Smyth & Co., Bankers, Stockton organized in May, 1879 by J.J. Smyth Cashier First National Bank, Marion, Iowa, and Charles C. Woods, then practicing lawyer of Marion, Iowa, now cashier of The Stockton Bank.  In the July 29th 1881 edition of The Rooks County Record the following ad appears: "The Stockton Bank ( Jay J. Smyth & Co.) Does a General Exchange and Collection Business,  Long Time Loans Negotiated, Stockton Rooks Co. Kansas".   Chas. Woods purchased Lot 2, Block 5 North of main on January 15, 1886 for $1200 (the lot on the northwest corner of Main and Walnut Streets). On April 22nd 1887, Chas. Woods deeded Lot 2 to the First National Bank of Stockton, Kansas for $1200.  The bank building on Lot 2 was constructed in this year.  "1887" and "Bank" appear on the building.  This is probably when the entire "Bank Block" was constructed.  The "Bank Block" is the series of eight buildings that runs west from the bank building that are of the same height and design although several have had facelifts altering their appearance.  Sever, though, retain the original design work at the top of the building.  "Bank, J.J. Smyth & Co., with Chas. C. Woods as cashier, this was know as the Rooks County Bank and for some time was the only financial institution in the county.  It afterwards became the First National Bank, and was finally liquidated by David B. Smyth.  Other banks by T.E. Baldwin, S.S. O'Donnell, E.J. Williams and M.J. Coolbaugh came into existence at later periods." This is from an article in the Rooks County Record on December 4, 1919 by W. L. Chambers who was writing on the history of the First Congregational Church.This bank most likely operated at this location until 1890 when an action was started against it by Jay J. Smyth, plaintiff. As a result of the action commenced in 1890, David B. Smyth was appointed receiver of the First National Bank. On January 20, 1891, as reciever, David B. Smyth deeded (by reciever's deed) Lot 2 and interest in the First National Bank to Jay J. Smyth and M. Ella Smyth.  At some time, Jay J. Smyth either changed  the Bank's name to the Bank of Jay J. Smyth or started a new bank with that name.  On December 31, 1897, Jay J. Smyth and M. Ella Smyth deed Lot 2 to the Bank of Jay J. Smyth.

A new bank named the Exchange State Bank was organized on August 1, 1900 by J.W. Anderson, P.C. Dunlap, Thomas Pettigrew, George E. Yoxall, W.B. Ham, C.B. Williams, E.J. Williams, J.R. Loomis, and Eva M. Brobst. This bank most likely purchased the assets and deposits of the Bank of Jay J. Smyth as it occupied the same location as the Smyth bank, and eventually the Smyths sold their lot to the new bank in 1905. J.W. Anderson was elected as the first president of this bank.

In 1905 another meeting was held for the purpose of converting the Exchange State Bank to a national organization to be named The Stockton National Bank. Additional stockholders involved at this time were C.D. Doughty, Frank M. Smith, W.R. McNutt, J.C. McCormick, E.S. Williams, P.G. Griebel, and J.J. Griebel. J.W. Anderson was reelected as President. In 1910 directors were E.J. Williams, P.G. Griebel, J.C. McCormick, George Yoxall, F.M. Smith, Chas Doughty, & J.W. Anderson. E.J. Williams was elected President. At the close of business on December 31, 1918: Loans $189,675.72, Total Assets $374,277.84, Deposits $222,337.96, and Total Capital $66,826.11.

In June of 1919 W.F. Hughes purchased controlling interest in the bank and his family ran the bank until 1960. W.F. Hughes was elected president and board of director consisted of: W.F. Hughes, P.G. Griebel, J.C. McCormick, E.W. Winters, and George Yoxall. At the close of business on December 31, 1927: Loans $204,564.61, Total Assets $386,021.95, Deposits $285,870.48, and Total Capital $60,151.47.

By 1930 the National State Bank of Stockton had failed and its bank building on the southwest corner of Main and Cedar street was sold to The Stockton National Bank. The Stockton National Bank moved its banking operations to that location and remained there until 1965. At the close of business on December 31, 1930: Loans $251,226.91, Total Assets $515,644.01, Deposits $418,373.64, and Total Capital $57,270.37.

In 1935 C.E. Hughes started working in the bank. At the close of business on December 31, 1932: Loans $152,726.56, Total Assets $344,314.06, Deposits $238,196.53, and Total Capital $64,917.53. The directors in 1935 were: W.F. Hughes, George Yoxall, P.G. Griebel, H.H. Snyder, L.L. Marshall. C. Everett Hughes took over as president of The Stockton National Bank in 1950. At that time the Board consisted of W.F. Hughes, T.S. Shaw, Ada C. Hughes, Forrest Stamper, and C. Everett Hughes. Because of a rare illness Everett Hughes' health began deteriorating. Les Eckart, who operated the Firestone Store in Stockton, was originally from Tescott, Kansas, and was a friend of the Berkley family there, told H.J. Berkley and Jack B. Berkley about the situation at the bank.At the close of business on December 31, 1956: Loans $674,806.33, Total Assets $3,584,818.59, Deposits $3,335,293.20, and Total Capital $249,525.39. 1960 Directors of the bank were C.E. Hughes, Ada C. Hughes, T.S. Shaw, Forrest Stamper, and Jack B. Berkley.

Jack B. Berkley moved to Stockton in 1956 with an agreement to eventually purchase the bank from the Hughes family. He began gradually purchasing shares and by 1961 had acquired controlling interest in the bank. He was elected president of the bank that year and the following individuals were elected to the board of directors: H.J. Berkley, Jack B. Berkley, Robert B. Berkley, Eloise M. Berkley, and Leo C. Bird. In 1965 The Stockton National Bank built a new bank building where the old Beck Hotel had stood for many years (on the corner of Cedar and North First Streets). At the close of business on December 31, 1965: Loans $2,218,554.97, Total Assets $4,568,982.73, Deposits $4,202,867.47, and Total Capital $366,115.26. 1965 directors were H.J. Berkley, Jack B. Berkley, Robert B. Berkley, Eloise M. Berkley, and Leo C. Bird. In 1969 H.J. Berkley died and John A. Berkley was appointed to the board of directors.

In 1970 the Berkley family purchased the Rooks County State Bank in Woodston from John McCormick. This was originally organized as a separate organization because of banking laws at the time. At the close of business on December 31, 1970: Loans $3,203,323.78, Total Assets $7,792,914.34, Deposits $7,085,140.48, and Total Capital $683,623.86. 1970 directors were Jack B. Berkley, Robert B. Berkley, Eloise M. Berkley, John A. Berkley and Leo C. Bird. James E. Berkley was elected to the board of directors in January of 1971 and John A. Berkley began working at the bank in December of 1971. James E. Berkley started working at the bank in May of 1972. The following year, Patricia J. Taylor was elected to the board. At the close of business on December 31, 1975: Loans $5,125,000.00, Total Assets $13,091,000.00, Deposits $11,939,000.00, and Total Capital $1,139,000.00. 1975 directors were Jack B. Berkley, Robert B. Berkley, Eloise M. Berkley, John A. Berkley, James E. Berkley, Patricia J. Taylor and Leo C. Bird.

Stockton Bancshares, Inc. was formed in 1980 as a bank holding company and The Stockton National Bank became a subsidiary of that company. All owners exchanged their shares in the bank for shares in Stockton Bancshares at that time. at the close of business on December 31, 1980: Loans $11,891,000.00, Total Assets $23,365,000.00, Deposits $21,352,000.00, and Total Capital $1,937,000.00. From 1983 through 1996 the directors of The Stockton National Bank were Jack B. Berkley, Robert B. Berkley, John A. Berkley, James E. Berkley, and Patricia J. Taylor. At the close of business on December 31, 1985: Loans $15,972,000.00, Total Assets $30,008,000.00, Deposits $25,399,000.00, and Total Capital $3,667,000.00. As the farm and financial crisis of the late 1980's worsened, banks began to fail or have financial problems and Stockton Bancshares Inc. was able to acquire three more banks. The Farmers & Merchants Bank of Hill City, and the Trego-WaKeeney State Bank were purchased in 1988. The next year it acquired the Farmers State Bank of Bogue and converted it to a branch of the Farmers and Merchants Bank of Hill City.

At the close of business on December 31, 1990: Loans $19,518,000.00, Total Assets $37,133,000.00, Deposits $32,418,000.00, and Total Capital $4,254,000.00.In 1993 the Rooks County State bank was merged into The Stockton National Bank and became a branch. In 1994 due to an increased need for additional office space, The Stockton National Bank expanded to the west, and added five additional offices along with a larger data processing room and storage room. At the close of business on December 31, 1995: Loans $30,905,847.00, Total Assets $41,871,000.00, Deposits $34,781,000.00, and Total Capital $6,558,000.00. 1996 saw the passing of Robert B. Berkley, who had served on the board since 1961; he was replaced by Rodger D. Taylor. In 1997 the Trego-WaKeeney State Bank purchased the assets and deposits of the Interstate Bank's branch in WaKeeney and the Farmers and Merchants Bank of Hill City purchased the assets and deposits of the Golden Belt Savings' branch in Hill City. In 1998 Jack B. Berkley died. He had started working in Stockton in 1956 and became President of the Bank in 1961; he had served in Kansas banks for 50 years. John A. Berkley was then elected President and James E. Berkley elected Chairman of the Board. The Board of Directors was increased with the following serving as directors: John A. Berkley, James E. Berkley, Patricia J. Taylor, Sompon Miller, Rodger D. Taylor, Roy D. Slansky, David J. Steeples, and Chris L. Kollman. The Farmers & Merchants Bank of Hill City also bought the former Golden Belt Savings building and in 1999 completed an addition to it and moved its operation to that location. In August of 1999 Patricia J. Taylor passed away, she had served on the board since 1973.
 
In 2000 The Stockton National Bank celebrated 100 years of banking. In April of 2000 the Bank decided to close the Woodston Branch which had been in operation since 1909. At the close of business on December 31, 2000: Loans $46,254,188.00, Total Assets $53,541,000.00, Deposits $43,684,000.00, and Total Capital $6,870,000.00. The Board of Directors consisted of: John A. Berkley, James E. Berkley, Sompon Miller, Rodger D. Taylor, Roy D. Slansky, David J. Steeples, and Chris L. Kollman. In 2001 The Stockton National Bank started an external remodeling consiting of a new pitched roof and a new front entrance. John and James Berkley celebrated 30 years of service with The Stockton National Bank in 2002. In July of 2004 Jonathan D. Berkley moved back to Stockton after completing college and started working in the bank. In 2005 The Stockton National Bank celebrated 100 years of being a Nationally charted bank. At the close of business on December 31, 2005: Loans $54,075,731.00, Total Assets $60,639,000.00, Deposits $46,740,000.00, and Total Capital $8,240,000.00. The Board of Directors consisted of: John A. Berkley, James E. Berkley, Sompon Miller, Jonathan D. Berkley, Rodger D. Taylor, David J. Steeples, and Chris L. Kollman, Virginia L. Bice, Greg Beougher, and Mark J. Wildeman. John A. Berkley retired on March 31, 2006.

In September of 2013 the Farmers and Merchants Bank of Hill City was merged into The Stockton National Bank.

Currently the board of directors of The Stockton National bank consists of: James E. Berkley (Chairman), John A. Berkley , Sompon "Thui" Miller, Jonathan D. Berkley, Brian J. Berkley, Rodger D. Taylor, Dale L. Winklepleck and Richard A. Jensen.

Print   
Copyright © 2010 Stockton National Bank. All rights reserved. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender